September 2, 2017

Review: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Title: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Author: Mackenzi Lee
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books (an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
On-Sale Date: June 27, 2017
Length: 501 pages
Format: ARC paperback

Lord Henry Montague has one year left before he’s forced to grow up. His father thinks it’s high time eighteen year-old Monty take over the family estate and learn something about business. But before Monty throws his life away he’s going to enjoy it. So, he goes on Tour with his best-friend-turned-major-crush, Percy, and his much-too-sarcastic, knowledgeable little sister, Felicity.  Monty only has one year to drink all the booze in Europe and bed all the boys he wants, but he only wants Percy, and their chaperone’s not letting Monty anywhere near alcohol. Unfortunately, that’s the least of their worries when Monty sees too much, and gets them into a world of trouble.

If you want to read one book this year this should be it.
This book was so well put together, and so well written. It contained some of the most beautiful passages I'd ever read—including the middle paragraph on page 30. The words painted a picture of a world I could never have imagined.
Gentleman’s Guide was really action-packed, and allowed you just enough time to just get your bearings before something else happened. It was also really funny, and I laughed so hard at the situations that Monty got himself (and others) into.
Monty was sarcastic and, in my opinion, hilarious. Excuse my language, but he was a little sh*t, and I loved him for his pompous attitude. However, Monty needed to go through all the trials and turmoil in Gentleman’s Guide to admit to his shortcomings and to grow. Monty had his father’s voice in his head putting him down, and he had to change his way of thinking. He had a hard time opening up to others, and being honest with himself and those around him. When it came to his emotions Monty hid behind sarcastic words. It wasn't until the end that I, (the reader, well, and Monty too), realized that Monty was a very emotionally damaged character and needed to allow himself to heal.
Gentleman's Guide became much more serious than I expected compared to the many pure moments of hilarity in the beginning.
I loved Percy, Monty's best friend and the boy he's in love with. He and Monty were perfect for each other, even though Monty always said the wrong thing. They cared about each other very much and put the other first. I was so shocked that Monty and Percy were romantic with each other very early in the novel, but that was one moment and then there was tension hanging over them for the rest of the novel.
Percy lived through so much unfairness because of things beyond his control, and I was so upset on his behalf. Percy was simply one of the most likeable, selfless, loyal characters and he was such a good friend to Monty.
I also loved how much I learned about the time period that Lee wrote about. I would definitely not have liked to live in it. Although I very much enjoyed this trip into another era, it reminded me how much things have changed since then, and I'm very grateful for how they are now.
Gentleman’s Guide was and is so much fun to talk about, and my internal voice gained a British accent, which made me incredibly happy.
I couldn’t imagine a different ending. I thought it was perfect and fit exactly who the three had all become.

Rating
Premise: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Overall: 5/5


Disclaimer: I received an early review copy from Indigo Teen in exchange for honest feedback. This did not influence my opinion in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment