January 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (5)

Hi!

Many of my favourite books are ones that I've picked up and chosen for myself, but there was a time when I only read by recommendation.
Honestly, I can't remember if The Hunger Games or Harry Potter were recommended to me.  If they were they would be at the top of the list.


Top Ten Books I'm So Happy Were Recommended To Me

1.  The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
This was the book series that made me love reading.

2.  Divergent by Veronica Roth
Do I even need to comment?

3.  Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A customer came in looking for this book, and proceeded to tell me how much she loved it, and wanted to own the hardcover.  Her love for this book was so palpable that I had to pick it up myself.  Since I read it, over two years ago, my copy of Thirteen Reasons Why has not been at my house for more than a couple of weeks.  I've lent this book to so many people.

4.  Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
One of my first friends in high school recommended Sarah Dessen to me.  Just Listen was the first novel of hers that I read.  I've loved her books ever since.

5.  Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
If the lovely lady at the publishing house didn't have the same taste in books as me I would not have read it.

6.  Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Again, not what I usually read, but a friend recommended it over twitter.  She was so excited for it that I had to see what it was all about.  I loved the sequel even more.

7.  One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Janet Evanovich was doing a book signing and one of my friends had read all her books (there are now 18 books in her Stephanie Plum series, and more if you include the novellas).  I ended up reading all 15 books in two weeks, and had a blast at the book signing.  She signed 17 books for me, and I have pictures to prove it.  Now, I'm lost in memory ...

8.  The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
I was not planning on reading this book, but so many people kept telling me how amazing it was.  So, I gave it a try and I probably loved it more than The Wolves of Mercy Falls.

9.  Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
"You liked Divergent, right?  Read Shatter Me."

10.  The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
I first heard of Hugo Cabret at Book Expo America last year, and then again during all the promotions of the movie.  I was unsure about it until I had that personal recommendation. 

I still read my friend's recommendations, but I pick for myself now most of the time.

Love,
Terri

2 comments:

  1. Great Top Ten!I've read a lot of these but a few i may need to check out.

    Thirteen Reasons Why is an amazing book its no wonder why people keep borrowing it.(:

    My top Ten http://booknerdrambling.blogspot.com/

    Nice blog name Btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. My top book recommended to me was Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, I completely love this series.

    ReplyDelete