February 22, 2011

Interview: Rose Mannering

Hi!

Today I want to tell you all about Rose Mannering. Rose is an author very close to acquiring a publisher. She's nineteen and lives in Kent. If you want to know anything else just read ...

Favourite book:  Arrrh!  So hard.  Erm I love the obvious romantic classics and anything by Daphne Du Maurier.  Let's go for 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith.
Favourite author:  Again, so hard!  Favorite classical author:  Jane Austen. Favorite contemporary author:  Meg Rosoff, Alexandra Potter or Catherine Alliott.  And I love all fantasy authors with particular favorites being Robin McKinley, Isabel Allende and Holly Black.
Favourite band / singers:   I have a very warped taste in music (which basically means I'm too embarrassed to answer that question!)  However, I'm liking Lissie, Marina and the Diamonds, Sunday Girl and Florence and the Machine at the moment.
Favourite movie:  I love 'The Holiday' and 'Edward Scissorhands' and anything Disney.
Favourite place:  Bewdley on the border of Wales and Carnac in France.
Favourite TV show:  Miranda or Gossip Girl.  I also like any program on authors and books.
Favourite colour:  Always used to be purple.
Sweet or salty:  Both.  But probably sweet.
Rain or snow:  Snow.  Rain makes my head itch.
Pet peeves:  Slow drivers.  Every Tuesday I have to drive to Canterbury and it gives me road rage.  I also hate really bad text talk.
What’s one item that you should throw away, but probably never will?  Empty perfume bottles. I feel like I should do something with them.
If you had a time machine where would you go?  To the beginning of the world.
What fictional world would you love to live in?  The Discworld.  It would be awesome!
Vampires or werewolves:  Werewolves.  I have an affinity with dogs.
Have you read Harry Potter?  Of course! It's great, but I've only ever read them all once.
What inspires you?  Every single person that I meet and place that I go.  It sounds kind of stupid, but it's true.  Also, every awkward situation that I find myself in and there's A LOT!  I always think, 'oh well, I can use this in a book . . .'

Do you realize that you’re only a year older than me?  I am very impressed that you’ve written a novel!  Really?  But thanks!  I don't feel young, I've been writing for a long time, and when I hit eighteen I decided I was finally going to do something about it.

Care to brag about your agent?  Oh, my agent is Isabel Atherton from Creative Authors Ltd.  She's lovely and we share a passion for books, (obviously), and vintage clothes.  She's recommended a lot of really good books to me, including my recent fascination, Carson McCullers.

Can you tell me a little bit about your book “It’s All Make Believe”?  Sure.  It's about a girl called Marilyn Swann, who is sent along with her two elder sisters to stay at their uncle's farm after the death of their mother.  The two elder sisters are causing havoc at their home in London, while their grieving father is immersing himself in his work and shutting them out.  When he unexpectedly come home early and sees the mess they've created and hears reports from the nosey neighbors, he hits the roof and sends them packing.  He thinks that on the farm they'll be away from temptation - what damage can they do in a field?  How wrong he is!

Since you’re only 19 I’m guessing you’ve always wanted to be a writer.  Is that true?  Yes and no.  I always wrote and I always wanted to write, but when I was younger everyone sort of gave me that indulgent smile with a 'like that will ever happen' kind of look, so I always kept it very secret and private.  Also, I'm dyslexic, so the two didn't really fit together properly and people were always surprised that I liked writing.

How do you feel about writing a book and having dyslexia?  It's a bit strange and something I don't really understand.  When I tell some people that I'm dyslexic, they often don't believe me, but it's true, I've been tested twice!  I don't know why I've always liked books and writing when I'm dyslexic, it makes no sense.  Sorry, that's a really rubbish answer, but I honestly don't know.  I think I'm just generally odd.

What did your family / friends say when you told them you wrote a novel?  My family are used to me tapping away at a computer (usually when I'm supposed to be doing other things!) and my close friends know that I like to write.  But like I said before, I was always and still am, quite private about it.  I would never say 'Hi guys! I've just finished my book!' so it probably came as a bit of a surprise when I started asking them to help me raise my profile.  They've all been really helpful and supportive about it though.

Are you going to school too?  No, I finished school last year and I actually kind of miss it!  I'm on a work placement at the moment with a tourism company called Visit Kent, which is great since I'm getting loads of experience and I get to travel quite a bit.  In September I'll be going to Royal Holloway University to study English, which I'm really looking forward to.

What advice would you give an aspiring / new author?  I would say, keep practicing and do as much as you can to get yourself noticed, you really have to get yourself seen and heard.  I would also say try to be patient because it's something I have A LOT of trouble with.  Sometimes it takes a while and a lot of effort to get things moving, but then they just snowball.

If you want to learn even more about Rose, or get in touch with her you can find her ...
Facebook: Rose Mannering
Twitter: @rose_mannering
If you want to see Rose's writing style check our her short story Valentine's Play!

I hope to share great news about Rose with you in the future!

Love,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment